Located in Gladwyne, Pennsylvania Riverbend fosters an awareness, appreciation and understanding of our total environment through educational programming. By growing both a love of nature and environmental literacy, we prepare informed, resilient leaders to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Education Programs Manager
Full time, salary
Riverbend is not-for-profit 501 (c) 3, located in Gladwyne, PA, whose mission is to teach environmental principles to children in Southeastern Pennsylvania, through a direct connection with nature, inspiring respect for our natural world and action as aware, responsible and caring citizens. We work with teachers, students and families in the greater Philadelphia region to build environmental literacy and connect people with nature through high quality environmental education programs. We are committed to providing experiences that are innovative, culturally relevant and effective. The Education Programs Manager is integral to our success as a regional leader as we implement new strategies and plans for significant organizational growth.
Responsible for leading, managing and evaluating formal education programs for groups and individuals to meet the mission, vision and strategic goals of Riverbend Environmental Education Center. This includes school programs, camps, scouts and public programs. The manager will schedule and oversee the implementation of group programs including the leadership, training and management of part time employees as needed. The Education Programs Manager reports directly to the Director of Education and Strategic Initiatives. The manager supervises the Education Programs Coordinator, camp and part time environmental educators, interns and volunteers.
Reports to: Director of Education and Strategic Initiatives
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the education department including school, scout, summer camp, birthday parties, year-round camp and public programs.
- Manage ongoing relationships with school and informal education partners.
- Create and manage budgets for education programs including school programs, camps, scouts and birthday parties.
- Hire, train and supervise Environmental Educators and support the management of seasonal camp staff.
- Supervise the Education Programs Coordinator.
- Provide leadership to camp program, including mentoring staff, tracking numbers and creating the budget.
- Write and update education program curriculum that aligns with Riverbend’s mission and strategic goals for onsite and offsite programs.
- Manage reservation process for school and scout programming, including but not limited to taking reservations, implementing marketing plan, scheduling staff and programs, confirming dates and invoicing clients.
- Manage online calendar for school, scout and outreach programs.
- Support teacher professional development through programming planning, implementation and teaching.
- Teach onsite and offsite education program as needed.
- Assist with planning and implementation of weekend Public Programs like Shiverfest, Family Campouts and Summer Solstice.
- Perform animal husbandry and habitat maintenance as needed to support the animal ambassador, aquaponics and field trip programs.
- Other duties as needed to ensure the success and sustainability of Riverbend Environmental Education Center.
Qualifications and Skills
- B.S. in Environmental Education, Biology, Ecology or other related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in leading informal education programs, including development, implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to build a team and effectively manage employees, interns and volunteers (at least 3-5 years’ experience).
- Demonstrated experience teaching using informal education strategies like inquiry based, place based, project based and experiential learning.
- Experience working with audiences from various age groups, backgrounds and cultures.
- Exceptional teaching skills.
- Grant implementation experience preferred.
- Good communicator, proven relationship building skills.
- Creative and innovative thinker.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Google platforms and other educational technology.
- Solutions oriented problem solver. Strong decision-making skills and ability to work independently.
- Passionate about Riverbend’s mission
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Work will be split between an office environment in a renovated barn, offsite classrooms and outdoors in natural areas on Riverbend’s property and other nature preserves.
- Manage and teach programs outdoors in all conditions.
- Regularly will need to walk trails with lots of hills and uneven ground.
- Regularly will need to work with live animals including insects, reptiles, amphibians, mammals and fish.
- No allergies to plants or animals that may interfere with the ability to perform the job.
- Must have immunocompetence (able to respond appropriately to infectious diseases which may be present in the animal collection).
- Ability to safely lift and carry 50 lbs for a distance of 25 ft.
- No impairment of sight, smell, hearing, touch, balance, and agility of movement (which cannot be corrected with appropriate device) which may interfere with the ability to perform work.
- Able to remain on feet for long periods of time, in all weather conditions.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle with either a standard or automatic transmission.
- Ability to maintain focus under pressure and make adjustments to accommodate program and client needs.
- Successful completion of a post-offer background check, including criminal, driving records and ability to obtain PA Child Abuse History Clearance and FBI Fingerprinting.
- Must be available to work Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays including occasional holidays as needed for programming.
- Valid PA driver’s license and vehicle to travel to various locations across the region.
To apply: Please forward resume and cover letter to Erin McCool at firstname.lastname@example.org NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!